Eating Healthy Without Sacrificing Flavor
The start of a new year presents itself as an opportunity to start eating healthier. In the everyday kitchen, there are many opportunities to use natural ingredients, like olive oil and balsamic vinegar, in order to make a healthy recipe. The key to healthy eating is flavor. By using gourmet products such as olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salts and spices not only are they bursting with flavor but also offer a myriad of nutritional benefits. Here are a few tips to “flavor your health journey”.
REPLACE WITH FLAVOR
Eliminate processed fats, such as salad dressings and margarine, from your kitchen. These products are not natural and harmful to your healthy journey. Replace them with olive oils and vinegars. Here are some rather simple examples.
- There are so many exciting homemade salad dressings which can be created from The Olive Tap’s wide variety of flavored olive oil, balsamic vinegars, and salts and spices. Try out this Yogurt Lime dressing recipe or one of the many recipes listed in our Recipes section.
- If you traditionally marinate your chicken in Italian dressing, try a healthier blend of Tuscan Herb olive oil, Premium White or Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar and your favorite salt. The vinegar will tenderize the meat, while the olive oil will impart a fantastic flavor, and the salt will seal it all in.
- Adding a drizzle of flavorful olive oil or balsamic vinegar on steamed vegetables, fish, or any meats will elevate the dish with wonderful aromas.
Use Extra Virgin Olive Oil as the ideal healthy fat for cooking. Olive oil has a smoke point of approximately 400 degrees Farenheit. When used to sauté, roast, and fry, it adds depth of flavor and succulence. Instead of breaded and pan fried cod, try this savory Tilapia recipe that utilizes Lemon and Italian Olive Oil and seasonings to elevate white fish to a gourmet dish.
When sauces and soups are homemade, the healthiness and flavor are both greatly increased. With the help of olive oils and vinegars, the process can be quite simple and fun!
- While you may be used to putting olive oil on your pasta, consider adding balsamic vinegar to your favorite pasta sauce. Aceto Balsamico di Modena will complement tomato sauces very nicely. A splash of a Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar will enhance lemon, garlic, and olive oil sauces. The vinegar also helps to cut down the effect of the carbs from the pasta on your blood sugar.
- A classic Soupe au Pistou makes a warm and satisfying winter meal and is so good for you. It is vegan friendly too! Grains are greatly enhanced by the flavors of EVOO and vinegar.
- Continue to eat healthy while you are on the go by carrying one or two of our sampler size bottles in your purse or leave it at your desk to always have at your finger tips.
- Opt for sparkling mineral water instead of soda and other artificial drinks; add a splash of your favorite balsamic for a refreshingly healthy drink.
- Popcorn is low in calories and can easily be popped with olive oil or simply finished with a drizzle of one of our flavored olive oils. Garlic olive oil on popcorn with parmesan makes for a particularly tasty snack. Or for pure luxury, drizzle White Truffle Oil over popped corn and add a dash of Truffle Salt.
Healthy eating is fabulous and flavorful!