Skin Smart: Healthy Cosmetic Uses for Olive, Nut, and Seed Oils
Olive oil does wonders not only to complement your favorite foods, but its health benefits are so significant as well. Regular olive oil consumption allows one to reap these benefits, but what about allowing your body’s largest organ to have a ‘drink’? That’s right! As wonderful as olive oil is for the inside, it has the same therapeutic qualities when used on the outside. Remember, your skin absorbs 85% of what is applied to it and it is absorbed within a matter of seconds. Think of your hand cream or body lotion…would you squeeze it on a spoon and enjoy it? Of course not, as these are often laden with various chemicals and preservatives. As the green beauty rule goes...use only what you would consume on the inside on the outside as well.
Think of the revitalizing Vitamin E and antioxidants in extra virgin olive oil, the healing antibacterial and anti-fungal properties of coconut oil, the soothing vitamins and essential fatty acids in avocado oil. These oils and more, accessible in your pantry and available at The Olive Tap, provide an effective, natural, and affordable beauty regiment that is unrivaled. These oils are worthy on their own or combined in simple recipes with essential oils for an extra boost.
Any of these oils make an excellent all over nourishing and healing moisturizer, but did you know about these specific uses?
Here are some simple tips and recipes:
- 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil as a makeup remover: Apply 100% EVOO to your face and neck (including eyes) and remove makeup with cotton until clean.
- Walnut Oil for hair and scalp: Apply before shampooing and let it sit at least 10 minutes, with a cap for improved effectiveness. Walnut oil is beneficial to both the scalp and hair for its astringent and moisturizing properties. Its fatty acids help in preventing hair loss and promoting hair growth.
- Coconut Oil for oil pulling: Upon waking, swish a teaspoon or so of coconut oil in your mouth for 10-20 minutes. At the end of the pulling, rinse with salt water, floss, and brush your teeth. Oil pulling is believed to remove toxins, improve oral health, and even whiten teeth.
(Organic Coconut Oil is available for purchase at most Olive Tap locations)
- Avocado Oil as sunscreen: These natural oils all contain of SPF of 2 or above; Avocado Oil contains the highest at a possible SPF 15. SPF varies with natural oils depending on oxidation and other properties of the oil; the better the quality, the higher the SPF.
- Grapeseed Oil for acne: The fatty acid profile in Grapeseed Oil tends to agree with oily skin and can help prevent and treat acne and breakouts.
Nourishing Exfoliating Salt Scrub:
1 part Olive Oil (try our Rosemary Agrumato Olive Oil for the benefits of both EVOO and Rosemary oil!)
2 parts Coconut Oil, melted
2-3 parts Himalayan Pink Fine Salt
Essential Oils of choice (tea tree, peppermint, citrus, etc.)
Combine all oils in a glass jar and add salt. Himalayan salt is effective in drawing toxins out of the skin.
Healing Winter Hand Cream:
4 parts Coconut Oil
Essential Oils (optional—rose hip, geranium, and eucalyptus are among my favorite)
Melt coconut oil and combine with olive oil and essential oils, if using. Can be made in the summer as well, but may need to be kept in fridge.
Luxurious Body Cream:
1 part Beeswax (raw, natural)
1 part Coconut Oil
2 parts Olive Oil (Avocado or Grapeseed may be substituted as well)
Over stovetop on low heat, melt beeswax completely. Add coconut oil and allow to melt and mix with beeswax. Remove from heat and immediately stir in olive oil and any essential oils, if using. Transfer to glass jars and allow to cool.